Adria Vasil, the best selling author of Ecoholic, Ecoholic Home and Ecoholic Body, has been writing her humour-filled, easy to read weekly ECOHOLIC advice column in NOW magazine since 2004! She writes about everything from how to green your food choices to how to detoxify your home and office.
In Ecoholic Body, Adria gives us the low-down on all things toxic in the products we put on our body - shampoo, deodorant, soap, makeup, skin care, you name it. She even provides some DIY recipes. So, read the labels on all of the products that you're putting on your body!
Adria was recently voted a Kickass Canadian and in Ecoholic Body, recommended Holly & Ivy as one of her kickass websites - and that's just one of the reasons we love her!
We've done the research, so you can feel confident that all of the products we offer are not only safe for you, they are proven, successful brands.
Here's the list of what Adria calls the "Mean 15" - the ingredients in body care products we all need to shelve for good.
1. BHA and BHT: Cancer-linked preservatives.
2. DEA/MEA/TEA (diethanolamine): Can create carcinogenic by-products.
3. Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives: (DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine, quaternium-15 and bronopol a.k.a. 2-bromo-2-nitropro-pane-1,3-diol).
4. Oxybenzone (BP-3/benzophenone) and octinoxate (octylmethoxcinnamate): Two of the worst sunscreen chemicals.
5. Palm Oil: (or anything with "palm" or "palmate" in its name, like sodium palmate): Avoid unless it's fair trade/organic.
6. Parabens: Estrogenic preservatives.
7. Parfum/fragrance: Note: some natural Euro brands with "parfums" are made with natural essential oils (it should say so on the label).
8. PEGs: (polyethylene glycol compounds, and anything with "-eth" in its name).
9. Petrolatum/paraffin/mineral oil/petroleum distillates.
10. PPD: In all permanent hair dyes. Can also be called p-Aminoaniline: 1,4-benzenediamine; p-benzendiamine CI 76060; p-diaminobenzene; 1,4-phenylendia-mine; 1,4-diaminobenzene.
11. Phthalates: Hidden behind the word "fragrance," but you can look for the phrase "phthalate free."
12. Retinyl palmitate: Keep this one out of the sun.
13. Siloxanes: Pass on cyclo- or "-methicone." Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) and cyclopentasiloxane (D5) are eco toxic siloxanes (silicone-based polymers). Cyclomethicone is a mix of D4, D5 and D6 siloxanes.
14. Sodium laureth sulphate: Frequently contaminated foaming agent.
15. Triclosan/triclocarbon: Now officially toxic but still on shelves!